American Walnut Car Console

One of our morning Tutor Group Members – 

This console was made to fit between the seats of a 1970 model car that I am restoring. The car has a glove box, but unlike more modern cars, has no other storage space for small personal items.

To fit the console between the seats meant that only the front and rear faces were parallel to each other, everything else tapered from the front to the rear. In effect it is a box with two opposite ends of unequal lengths, so the angles of the corner mitres had to be calculated using the lengths of all the sides.

Because the construction is of relatively thin American walnut (selected to match the tan seats), the corners were reinforced with triangular fillets planed to match the angles of the mitres.

The rest is fairly standard box construction apart from the grooves for the 3mm. plywood base routed above the lower edges of the sides to allow clearance for the curved surface across the transmission tunnel.

 

 

 

Artistic Piece – figured Tasmanian Ash veneer

David (Mon PM TG) – 

I’m not entirely sure what this piece actually is. It started off after I thought of the shape and wondered if I could actually make it. I have had a couple uses suggested such as a bowl of some sort or a light fitting to be put up against a wall. I think I might try to make three of the same pieces and combine them to form a desktop lamp.

The initial design was done using 3D CAD modelling software called ‘SolidWorks’. I used a 3D printer to prototype a number of samples and to play around with the sizing and various radii. Then I used a 3D printer again to print the two forms used to press the veneer into the final shape.  Each plastic form took around 50 hours to print, the internal is not actually solid but uses a honeycomb structure to reduce the amount of plastic needed.

The veneer used was figured Tasmanian Ash. The final piece has seven layers with alternating grain to give extra rigidity and strength. Two cut-outs were made with a knife and then the sheets were pressed in-between the two plastic forms and clamped while the glue went off. We used two part epoxy for the glue and finished off with an oil finish.

 

Queensland Kauri Cot

Bruce (Wed AM TG) – 

This is a cot I designed and built to comply with Australian Cot Safety Standards, and made as a ‘knock-down assembly’ for ease of transport. It comprises of four slatted panels and laminated mattress slats, rigidly retained by six KD bolts.

The front gate runs on plated rods and locked with HDPE pivot latches.

The wood used is Queensland Kauri finished with (non-toxic) clear shellac and waxed.

The completed cot was packed and flown to Dubai where today it is treasured by little Thomas aged two.